![]() |
| There's another hand for pint-grasping under that foam finger.
|
That's right; I'm headed west. Pacific northerly-west, in fact. This Brooklynite (shudder; I am so not a Brooklynite...) is headed to the Brooklyn of the Pacific Northwest: Portland, Oregon!
Don't worry; it's only temporary. But for 4 glorious days next month, I'll be in a beer-drinking marathoner's paradise. Beer Advocate lists 25 breweries within Portland city limits, and the Nike Oregon Project has at least that many elite, bad ass runners under its tutelage. Beers will be drunk; miles will be run; mountains will be hiked; birds will be put on it; Kara Goucher will be stalked; future brothers-in-law will reconsider marrying into the family. A good time will be had by all!
From Portland? Been there? Take to the comments to suggest what I should drink and where I should run. In the meantime, I'll be busy growing out my beard.



My suggestion is to wait until August to visit Portland. Then we could go on science field trips together.
ReplyDeleteI'm from Seattle (Portland's big brother) but I know PDX well. The is some amazing running along the Willamette and in Forest Park. As for beer, make sure to check out the Deschutes Public House, the Hair of the Dog Tasting Room, and Hopworks Urban Brewery (they have a special bike made for carrying kegs!). Belmont Station is awesome if you're looking for bottles to bring back.
ReplyDeletePortland Maine is wayyyyy better! loving the Sea Dogs faom finger! :)
ReplyDeleteIf you don't go to Voodoo Doughnuts, I'll smack you.
ReplyDeleteI live in Portland...Well... the suburbs of Beaverton. A run on Leif Erickson (Forest Park) is a must! Also if you've never done it a bridge loop or two would be great along the river. There is a nice 8.75 mile loop and a 3 mile loop that are easy. There is also the Nike trail... I am not a huge fan of the bark dust but I have seen Kara Goucher on the trail! I have also seen Shalane Flanagan a couple of times by the water and in Forest Park!
ReplyDeleteI am a fan of Bridgeport Brewery in the Pearl District. Mellow Mushroom for pizza and beer and Deschutes is just across the street too!
I would love that trip so much. I'd also have to take in a Portland Timbers game and pretend to be a soccer hooligan for a day.
ReplyDeleteIf you don't bring Abbe and I back donuts from Voodoo I will smack you. Have fun!
ReplyDeleteI am going to Portland from May 4-8 for a work conference! I'm squeezing in a half marathon on Sunday too, since it starts 3 blocks from my hotel. I also need copious beer/food recommendations, so I will be stalking this blog post...
ReplyDeleteI am already planning on checking out Voodoo Donuts. :)
I love Portland! My girlfriend lives there. She could probably show you around! The beer out there is insanely good, and you'll find plenty breweries obviously. Check out the food carts - they are reknowned for tasty eats. But if you're on the company dime, you might want to try some fancier establishments - and get some beer on the tab too :) One of my fave places to feed and water myself (from my limited experience) is Hot Lips Pizza (tastiest pizza ever!, by the slice, and delicious craft beer on tap; cool tunes too, and obviously LOTS of tasty vegan options). For a late night diner experience, the Roxy is pretty sweet too. And to be really on the cutting edge, there's a place called Pints - which has just opened up it's microbrew bar (the IPA is delish). Running-wise, you can't go wrong on the riverfront, although if you can drive, there's a forest park to the northwest that looks pretty neat! The Columbia river gorge area is just a few miles away too. Get there if you can! Stunning. Run the Angel's Rest trail (it's quick) and wait til you see the views! After 4 days you will want to live there - guaranteed :D I know I do!
ReplyDeleteTake a run up to Overlook Park on the Northeast side of the river and you'll get a great view as well as pass the Widmer brewery (formerly a hospital). The riverside runs are fun, but mostly flat, so it's fun to mix in some hills like the one above. The Deschutes brewpub is a good bet for the beer and the food (try the elk burger; where else will you find that). Then just up the block from Deschutes you can get a weight workout with all the books that you will decide that you have to buy at Powell's. (this bookstore has a map, it's so big and it is a must see in Portland).
ReplyDelete