Much as it pains me, it's time to come to terms with the fact that tomorrow's marathon probably won't see me going 3:20. Am I pissed, because I've trained diligently for a PR? Of course; it's hard not to feel like I wasted 16 weeks pounding out workouts (and 4 weeks pounding water instead of beer) and visualizing coming down Boylston Street with a smile/grimace on my face, knowing I'd gotten an hour faster since my first marathon 5 years ago. Do good things come to those who work hard? Yep. But while hard work may increase the chances that good things happen, it isn't the antidote to shitty things. As my mom used to tell me when things didn't go my way, "life isn't fair."
Note to parents: While true, this is not at all comforting.
It's not fair that I won't get my shot to PR tomorrow, even though I'm ready for it. And it's not fair that there's not another marathon waiting in the wings for me to dominate (if you need me any weekend between now and Columbus Day, I'll be at a wedding, bridal shower, or bachelorette party). And it's not fair that I couldn't have known all this in advance and made different plans.
Life isn't fair.
How about some perspective? Tomorrow is going to be a beautiful, sunny day, and I get to run the Boston Marathon. And drink beers afterward. Sunshine, being outside, running, and beers.
Life isn't fair. Because not everyone gets to spend tomorrow doing exactly what makes them happiest.

Without further ado, I present you my new goals for Monday:
A Goal: Boston PR - sub 3:33. If I'm properly hydrated and able to stay cool, it would be a great treat to improve upon my time in Boston last year. Yes, last year when we had not only perfect temperatures, but also a 20 mph tail wind to help us along.
B Goal: Don't shit self. You know you're in a bad place when this is your B goal.
C Goal: Don't die.
D Goal: If I die, let it be of dehydration so that at least I look really skinny in my coffin.
Like Gatsby, I believe in the future. There will be other marathons, and other shots for 3:20 and faster. Life isn't fair, but thank God there is more of it to come. "It eluded us then, but that’s no matter—tomorrow we will run faster, stretch out our arms farther. . . . And then one fine morning—"
Number of Miles Run This Week: 16.
Number of Beers Consumed This Week: 0
Types of Beers Consumed This Week: n/a.

Best of luck tomorrow to you! I know that beer will taste much better after that race!
ReplyDeleteCan I ask why this is such a big deal? I'm not a marathoner, but I do run shorter distances (10k and 15k) several times each year, and I train in the Virginia heat every summer. In the really hot months, if I haven't gotten in an early morning run, I end up waiting until very late evening for the temps to go down below 90. I mean, it's hot, but it doesn't ever feel dangerous.
ReplyDeleteObviously, if the race association is taking it this seriously, then you're right to do so as well. I am just curious as to why these moderate temperatures are such cause for alarm. I'd really enjoy hearing your thoughts.
Claire. No one knows what the day will bring. Will it be hot? Yes. Will there be carnage? Yes. Could you PR? Yes.
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine how frustrating it feels. If only we could control the weather. :)
ReplyDeleteReally, though, it's still amazing that you are going to run the Boston Marathon! It's a race most people will never get to do. Best of luck, I bet you'll do great! And no matter what happens, you can enjoy your beer afterwards knowing you did your best. :)
There's got to be another marathon in 2-4 weeks, I say if tomorrow turns out to not be your race, just sign up for another race. If I did it (and PR'd both times) you can do it too!
ReplyDeleteBUT, I hope you do have a good race tomorrow and the heat isn't too brutal.
Chica, welcome to southern weather! I've just walked outside at 10:30 at night in Houston, and it's about 80% humidity and 78 degrees. I get that it's not ideal for running, but you've conditioned yourself, so you're strong. Just listen to your body and hydrate OFTEN. I promise you will not die, but be smart and definitely avoid the mesh! Everything's gonna be alright. Can't wait to hear the results. I think you'll surprise yourself.
ReplyDeleteI think you hot weather runners are missing the point.. it's not just that it's hot, it's that people who've been running in moderate temperatures for the last 6 months have not conditioned their bodies to deal with the heat. That's where a lot of the danger comes in. You'll do great though Claire, good luck!
ReplyDeleteGood luck to you, and I look forward to reading your recap, because we all know you, like Keith Richards, can't be killed by conventional weapons...so there's no way you succumb to heat.
ReplyDeleteI hope you were able to enjoy today's race despite the unseasonably warm weather. You trained hard, and I look forward to reading your recap.
ReplyDelete