Friday, April 13, 2012

How to Pack for This Year's Boston Marathon

Oh hey, you probably haven’t heard because no one on the whole internet has bitched about it yet, but it’s going to be like 85 degrees in Boston in Monday.


Not just "like, 85 degrees."  Actually "85 degrees."  And much as you may be tempted to offer comfort by suggesting "well it won't be 85 degrees that early," I'll remind you that I don't start running until 10:20am.  It will indeed be actually 85 degrees by the time I'm done. 

Do you know when I last ran in 85 degree weather? 3 ½ months ago, in St. John. I was there for a week and my longest run was 3 miles, immediately after which I dry heaved onto an iguana before refueling with 14 Coronas and a slice of DiGiorno and collapsing onto a lounge chair.  Needless to say, conditions weren’t ripe for peak athletic performance then, and I have some skepticism around my ability to succeed in Boston on Monday, native reptiles notwithstanding.


But, what did we learn in New Hampshire in October, besides the fact that you shouldn’t hold your pee for 26.2 miles and that Cracker Barrel is delicious? That you can’t control the weather, and you can’t let unfavorable conditions ruin your race. PRs are possible even when conditions aren't ideal.

That said, you don’t want to be that guy getting chest compressions on the BAA website either, so to the best of your ability, you can and should at least take the weather into consideration. For example, the lovely folks at the BAA sent me (and 27,000 other runners) an email today suggesting that we wear “as few clothes as you decently can.” Given my proclivity towards genital-revealing short shorts, this is not a problem for me. The email did go on to recommend “loose fitting white shorts and a white mesh top.” This ensemble won’t be very forgiving should you inadvertently shart yourself (don’t lie; you’ve been there), and nothing about “mesh” screams “I want this rubbing against my sweaty skin for 26.2 miles.” Screens should be mesh. Things that repeatedly graze your nipples should not be.

I myself will be wearing short shorts and a black singlet, which hopefully will keep me cool, and thankfully don’t occupy much real estate in my weekend bag. Which meant I was able to pack something absolutely crucial to take with me to the Athlete Village:




Happy packing!

4 comments:

  1. Wooohooo Boston!!! You would rock this race even if the weather report says it will be 1 billion degrees. And if for some reason during the 26.2 miles you get bored, you'll have tons of almost naked hot runner men to watch.
    PS. I literally just bought my first pair of genital revealing running shorts & thought of you. Can't wait to be almost indecent on my next run!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rock that race. As Igor said in Young Frankenstein, "it could be worse, it could be raining."

      Delete
  2. I know you are going to kick some serious butt out there. I'll support you by wearing as few clothes as I decently can into the office on Monday. Corporate America is in for a rude awakening! No but seriously, you rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Put all the sun screen's on that your body can muster or use it as a camouflage. The sunscreen Runner will be your moniker.

    ReplyDelete