Monday, April 9, 2012

Monday Wrap Up: Happy Race Week!

I ran by the convent near my parents' house yesterday on my last long run before Boston. The nuns were outside, enjoying the sunshine and also the whole resurrection thing, it being Easter and all. As I crested the hill directly outside their digs, a cheer went up. Again, I imagine it was because of Jesus' big day, but it was nice to think they were cheering me on.

Number of Miles Run Last Week: 28. I haven't run fewer than 30 miles in a week since the week of January 2nd, when I was equal parts drunk and in a humid and mountainous island nation, and then subsequently nursing a Carribbean hangover. My blood was 40% alcohol and 35% DEET that week. Today, my blood is 65% Cadbury Creme Egg.

Number of Beers Consumed Last Week: 0. I'm now 23 days sober. Having straight OJ instead of mimosas at Easter brunch was odd. But not as odd as drinking water at a Bruce Springsteen concert on Friday night. I served as the Designated Photographer instead:



The beers came with built-in pretzel rods. I cannot believe I had to miss this alcoholic bit of ingenuity.

Types of Beers Consumed Last Week: n/a.

Well here we are. 1 week from race day. I'm in the manic phase of taper-induced manic depression. While this year, I escaped the depressive phase without injury (
remember last year when I fell in a hole while running because I had spontaneously started crying and couldn't see where I was going? That was fun, and normal...), I now have so much pent up energy it's taking a lot of effort on my part to not scream the lyrics to the Boss' "Waiting on a Sunny Day" and run up and down the aisles of this MetroNorth train. If you're either a friend looking for a post-work playmate this week, or are a prescribing physician with access to tranquilizers, shoot me an email.

Happy race week, kids!



4 comments:

  1. Good luck dealing with the final week of the taper. I always have trouble during the final days as the pent up energy and pre-race nerves start to commingle in a combustible cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing you're coming to cheer me on for my 800s.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so excited for you! Goooooo Claire!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that I just found your blog. By googling "beer runs.". Not because I was looking for a place to buy beer...but a run with beer as a goal. Good luck in Boston, that's awesome. I'm still struggling through 3 miles. :)

    ReplyDelete