As for the croissants and hot chocolate, we had a solid showing by the Runner Army this morning for a run to City Bakery. I logged 9-ish miles in Central Park beforehand, then met the crew for the run down to 18th Street. Special thanks to Sharon, who is going to kill it in Austin next weekend, for running with me. And to Susan, who took an extra spin around the block with me when we got to the bakery so we wouldn't come up short for our mileage. That kind of bad assedry deserves hot chocolate any day.

Number of Miles Run This Week: 41. Boom! Neither niggle nor IT band bothered me on my long run today. You know was did? My stomach. As per the planned experiment, last night I feasted on such treats as: beef shoulder, jalapeno cheddar sausage, corn bread, corn pudding, mashed sweet potatoes, green bean casserole, mac and cheese, a cupcake, and approximately 11 buckets of PBR. And that is not an exhaustive list. As you might imagine, waking up with the meat sweats was the least of my problems ahead of today's run.
At one point, about 8 miles in, I trotted out of the Park to the headquarters of the New York Road Runners, to use their bathroom. Which got me thinking: imagine how many famous shits have happened in that bathroom! I mean, the pre-marathon shit is something of a hallowed tradition among runners. And think of all the world class runners that have gone through the New York Road Runners' building while in town for the New York City Marathon. Meb. Ryan. Kara. Paula. That bathroom has seen some of the fastest asses in the world! I feel honored to have desecrated it myself.
Number of Beers Consumed This Week: In the neighborhood of 15. Plus this week I even cooked with beer too! I made steak with stout pan sauce, which sounds way fancier than it was. I used Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, which was good, but I think this would have been even better with a chocolate stout. What other foods can I put beer in? Spaghetti? Cereal? The possibilities are endless.
Types of Beers Consumed This Week: For the past several weeks, I've been (unintentionally) focused on quantity over quality. That needs to stop (for a number of reasons, not the least of which being that I'm not at racing weight. Like, at all). Once again this week, I settled: the aforementioned PBR, some Bud Lights, a Stella, and a few Guinness. It's the month of Claire, damnit, and I should treat it with some respect!
One parting thought before I leave you this weekend: the Spring Edition of We'll Run For Beer is a month from today. You better start training, people!

Nice job this week, and great run today! Sounds like a fun time...
ReplyDeleteThe title of this post, when read while looking at the photo, made me momentarily terrified. Also: "the meat sweats." Hysterical!
ReplyDelete