Friday, February 18, 2011

Planks: You're Doing It Wrong

I had PT bright and early this morning. I was feeling great - today is Friday, it's a long weekend, it's 60 degrees and sunny, and a hobo hit on me on the subway (who says legs that haven't seen the light of day since November aren't sexxxxy?) Mary, the masochistic physical therapist, got me right to work on strengthening work: lunges, squats, and planks. Lunges? Great - I can definitely do those (thanks, Mom, for investing heavily in Rye School of Dance). Squats? Not my forte, but I can hack it. Planks? Well sure! I've been those for ages!

Yeah, doing them wrong.

Mary the Masochist showed me exactly what I was meant to be doing down there on the floor. This is what a plank should look like:
This is what mine looked like:

(You can tell it's me by the hair, obviously).

I assure you, it's not physically possible to relax one's shoulders and engage one's core simultaneously in the plank position. I further assure you that I have no idea what the difference is between "engaging one's core" and "sucking in." Lastly, I assure you that those are the best pictures I have ever drawn using Paint. They could possibly be the best pictures anyone has ever drawn using Paint. I deserve some type of accolade for them.

That'll do.

3 comments:

  1. Oh Planks. They are hard. I call doing them having a visit from 'Dr. Plankenstein.'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Claire, why did you grow a mustache during your last plank?

    ReplyDelete
  3. See, the tricky thing about those pics is they always tell you to keep your body in a perfectly straight line - but thanks to something called "my big butt," it's just not possible. When I look in the mirror and try to adjust as I plank, there are a few different positions that all look relatively straight, depending on which version of straight you're going for... so I'm never sure which to pick. I figure as long as I can't sit up in bed the next day, I'm good.

    ReplyDelete