Something weird happens every time I give up drinking (this is, to the best of my recollection, the third marathon for which I've been on the wagon; first was Chicago in 2009, which brought me a PR and my first sub-4:00 race, followed by Wineglass in 2010, my current PR and my BQ time. No pressure): I have so much time on my hands! My mom is mad because she anticipated this free time would mean more blog entries and therefore more ways for her to e-stalk me. But to be honest, nothing very noteworthy happens when I'm sober.
Things I've done with my newfound time:
- Gone grocery shopping. I'm a bad person and don't really do this, choosing instead to have my paychecks direct deposited into the account of the Whole Foods salad bar across the street from my office every day. "$87 for some chickpeas? Sure!" But this week I actually bought groceries and prepared meals at home. One day I even brought leftovers to work for lunch. It was me and that token guy whose wife makes him eat leftovers every day, and they're some kid-specific food like chicken nuggets that are impossible to reheat in the microwave. It was the saddest day of my life.
- Run. This isn't really a new addition to my routine (duh), but I've tacked on miles here and there this week just because I could. I'm at 30 miles for the week, and still have two more workouts to get through.
- Filled out an NCAA tournament bracket. My sister is in b-school at Michigan State. After putting two daughters through Division III liberal arts schools for undergrad (Fact: my college baseball team went 0-18 one season, even losing to the local high school in a scrimmage. By the Mercy Rule), this is sort of the best sports-related thing that's happened in my family. When Coach D'Antonio had a heart attack during the football season, my dad was clutching his chest right along with him.
- Watched my NCAA bracket get trashed. Fuck you, Michigan State.
We're on Day 6 (of 35...) of clean living (well, not that clean, since I didn't give up caffeine, dairy, or Girl Scout cookies), and so far it hasn't been too hard. The warm front that passed through Thursday and Friday did elicit the Pavlovian instinct to drink beers outside, but I tried to remind myself that it'll be even better day-drinking weather come April.
Well, I guess I'll go do... things. Soberly. Hope your weekend is much more fun.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Ha, I love to cook so I love bringing my lunch because it's an extra meal I get to cook... so I am always that pathetic person :)
ReplyDeleteAlso, my brackets are done too. Like really, really, really done. I had Syracuse and Notre Dame picked for final 2 in both of the pools I entered (one had ND winning, one had SU), and both got knocked out this weekend. According to CBS Sports, I now have a measly 64 points possible. Pathetic. But hey, I have an excuse to drown my sorrows in beer for any future games I watch!
hahahahaha I was laughing out loud at my desk reading this... all amazing stuff :)
ReplyDelete