Yesterday, I walked through a colon. A "super-colon," actually. Basically, if it's a body part that should be covered by your bathing suit, it played an integral part in the week that was. Thank God its taper time; I don't know how I could possibly encounter any more private parts in the context of running. Not that I'd want to see a jogging scrotum or something.
But back to the colon. Yesterday was the Colon Cancer Challenge 15k in Central Park, and Cate was kind enough to allow me to accompany me for her first 15k (Nicole would have been there too, but this race coincided with her semi-annual need for reconstructive knee surgery. She is recovering well, and she won't get out of racing that easily next time). After my 22 on Saturday, I was a little creaky and stiff, so I got uptown early for a couple warm up miles. "A couple" turned into 3 and a half; I was that stiff. But eventually I got all my parts in working order and headed to Columbus Circle to meet Cate.
After bag check, we headed over to the corrals, where we met up with the lovely Maura and shot the breeze while various NYRR representatives and Earl the Pearl addressed us in a stiff, late March, not at all seasonable, breeze. Soon enough (not soon enough - the talking points need to be cut down 50% for all races held between the NYC Marathon in November and the Brooklyn Half in May), we were on our way.
As usual, the first mile was pretty congested, and Cate and I started in the Green corral (despite the fact that I've somehow tricked NYRR into seeding me in the Red corral), so we had some weaving to do. But by mile 2, we'd carved out some real estate for ourselves and could run side by side, so we didn't have to shout across other runners to discuss the horrifying prospect of giving birth (for real, that's what we discussed). As we approached Cat Hill, Cate asked why it was called that. I introduced her to the Cat, and as usual, gave him a surreptitious middle finger as we passed.
The great thing about this course was that it took us across the 102nd St transverse, so we avoided the Harlem Hill. Not that the west side hills are a cake walk, but the absence of that Harlem beast provided lots of relief.
As we headed across 102nd St, we came up behind Joe. He was looking fierce as usual, which was a particular accomplishment given that he was up making chocolate milk at 3:00am. Joe's daughter is a genius; it never even occurred to me as a child that I could demand snacks at 3:00am, and because a parent's love is unconditional, they might give them to me. Does that work as an adult too? Nicole, I'll be testing this out on you one morning this week; prepare yourself.
Cate and I continued along, handling the west side hills with surprising ease. The sight of the Time Warner center ahead was a welcome sign; we threw it into cruise control as we headed downhill to 59th Street and hooked around past the start for the second lap.
Cat Hill round two was beastly; everyone around us had stopped talking and was just focused on getting to the top. It definitely felt longer the second time around, but Cate didn't let up at all, and not wanting her to show me up, I hung on for the climb. As we crested and cruised behind the Met, we decided to let up a bit. It was definitely a case of "a little goes a long way;" we only slowed about 10 seconds/mile and immediately felt relief.
We hit 102nd the second time and unfortunately saw someone take a tumble. Thankfully, several runners and a volunteer came to his aid immediately, as and we passed, the volunteer confirmed the medical crew was on their way. Friendly reminder: thank your local race volunteers.
As we came to the west side hills, I found 2 guys running about our pace and decided to practice drafting. At first, Cate was confused as to why I wasn't passing. I explained (in hushed tones, because drafting kinda makes me feel like a dick) the concept: that you let the guy in front of you do the work by breaking through the wind (and hoping he doesn't break wind - heyo!) and stay tucked in behind him so you don't have to fight the resistance. For the third of the hills, Cate tried it too, and she was amazed at how well it works. Sorry to the dudes we drafted; I owe you. But you should be glad you helped teach a runner a new trick!
With about a mile to go, we were both ready to be done. I checked Carl and couldn't believe how we'd pushed the pace; I was running on tired legs, and Cate was racing 15k for the first time ever. We kept at it until we hit the 72nd Street transverse and made the sharp left to the finish. I dug my heels in, thinking Cate was already maxed out, and watched as she sped off down the finish chute. Jerk! I teach you my tricks and this is the thanks I get?! I gave it what I had left and barely kept pace with Cate. We crossed the line in 1:19:13.
I was seriously impressed with my buddy! Averaging 8:30-ish for 15k is legit. (Cate does not realize that you should set the bar low for your first race so that you can continue to get PRs in the future). Best of all, after we finished, we picked up our bagels (French toast flavored?!) and went inside the super-colon. Actually maybe that wasn't the best part of the day, since it was gross, and cancer isn't very uplifting. And we were inside a plastic replica of a giant colon. But as a whole, a delightful way lead in to Taper Time.
Number of Miles Run Last Week: 58. Two 58 mile weeks in a row. Last week I was so impressed with myself for it, and this week I'm already jaded.
Number of Beers Consumed Last Week: 0
Types of Beers Consumed Last Week: n/a
Day one of the taper and I'm already having marathon anxiety dreams. Last night, I was trying to break 3:30 in the New York City Marathon, but wanted to simultaneously participate in a bar crawl my friends were doing. I was so mad that drinking kept undermining my running. Also, I'm 80% sure this dream could be made a reality if I run New York again.
Happy three weeks til Boston, everybody!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Congrats to Cate! I've never raced/run a 15k. Seems like it would be a hard distance to "race" Good job ladies!
ReplyDeleteI want to know who thought that having a giant replica colon was a good idea. They *had* to have been drinking because I can't comprehend that in any other way.
ReplyDeleteKudos to your friend Cate and hope your newly gimp friend heals fast! I've had two knee reconstructions and they never get more fun.
Congrats to you and Cate on a nice race! But did you end up getting a good brunch and beer afterward, or did you settle for the bagel in the colon?
ReplyDeleteWhen you write "taper time" in close proximity to "colon," it makes me think of "tapeworm."
Two years ago for NYC, I went on a bar crawl the day before, and still finished sub-4. (The NYT made fun of me for this). The trick is to start the bar crawl early so you all pass out around 8pm... that way you still get a good night's sleep. Sneaky sneaky!
What's the appropriate protocol for drafting? I've drafted off of people and others have drafted behind me. Does it all balance out karmically? Is there some kind of penance, and if so, are they more like hail mary's or hill repeats?
ReplyDeleteWow Claire, your friend Cate seems like a real winner! That's an impressive time for a first timer...but she sounds like a real noob not knowing about drafting, Cat Hill, and what a Colon's purpose is...oh well...she seems nice - except for the part about how she sped off down the stretch when you taught her new tricks got no thanks for it.
ReplyDeletePretty exciting to know that you are in taper mode on your way to Bean Town. Good luck punching another obstacle in the face and accomplishing your goal!