Sunday, March 20, 2011

Sunday Wrap Up: A Defense Against Heartbreak

Don't worry; I'm not getting all emo. The heartbreak in question comes in the form of a hill on the Boston Marathon course, and my defense comes in the form of a hill-acious 20 miler today. (Kara Goucher only ran 13.1 miles today. Granted, she came in third place, in 1:09, which is faster than I raced 10 miles last month, but let's just let me have this one, okay?) I went uphill. I went downhill. I went uphill more. I went downhill more. I trashed my quads, then asked them to keep going. And they did! The whole thing went pretty well- I felt good through the whole distance, despite the challenging course I had set out for myself. And then I ate Girl Scout cookies.
Number of Miles Run This Week: 58. I'm sorry, what? That's insane. In the past 10 days, I've run 93 miles. That's more than I ran in the entire month of January when I was grappling with my IT band.
Number of Beers Consumed This Week: 0. But before you mock me for morphing into some weirdo healthy person, I did have ice cream for dinner last night. And am rapidly approaching a 1:1 ratio of miles run today to Girl Scout cookies consumed. Related: "Overweight" is the new "race weight."
Types of Beers Consumed Last Week: n/a
Today's run was the second of three planned 20+ milers. The last comes next weekend, after a week scheduled to be chock full of miles (50, to be exact) including 8x800s and a 15k race with Cate. Pass me another Samoa; I need to begin fueling up now.

2 comments:

  1. It's good to see you've replaced one addiction for another. Now if only girl scout cookies got you tipsy...

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are SO good to do such a tough 20 mile hill training run, your quads will thank you come April 18th!

    ReplyDelete