Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Wednesday Wrap Up: I Almost Died Again

Last Friday morning, I went out for my run before work, as usual, and headed towards Central Park.  I ran across 57th Street and turned uptown on Third Avenue.  The light changed, and I ran through the crosswalk at 58th Street.  I got about halfway across the street before, suddenly, I was lying on the ground, in the middle of the street, in the dark.  I was pretty sure I was going to die.

After a second or two, I realized I was still alive, but wouldn't be if I didn't get up before the light changed again, so I collected my keys, stood up, and crossed the street.  I reached the corner and stopped to examine myself.  A bruised and skinned knee, two skinned palms, a skinned shoulder, and a banged up elbow.  2 blocks into my run.  Genius.


Fortunately, I recovered from my injuries and was able to attend - you guessed it! - another wedding over the weekend.  My trip to the suburbs also afforded me a run among the changing leaves, two breakfast dates with my dad, and a champagne hangover.


The whole reverse taper is happening, slowly but surely.  Running still feels way harder than it should, and my "long" run last week was a whopping 8 miles.  My sincere hope is that it gets better just as soon as I have time to sleep well and eat properly, two things that haven't really been working for me since the marathon, since work has been so busy.  
Looking ahead, I have - guess what! - another wedding this weekend!  It's my last of the season, unless anyone I know goes the surprise nuptials route.  Then it's off to San Francisco for business, which (God willing) is my last business trip of the season.  As always, though, I'm looking forward to some miles there.

Number of Miles Run Last Week: 22.  

Number of Beers Consumed Last Week: 3.

Types of Beers Consumed Last Week: Long Trail IPA, Full Sail Pilsner, Bud Heavy.




1 comment:

  1. Did you inherit the tripping gene from me, or were you done in by a denizen of the dark--aka a biker?

    ReplyDelete