Monday, October 13, 2014

Monday Wrap Up: An A+ Weekend

 

That's the smile of a 3:13 marathoner. (Thanks for the photo, GCR!). 

Yesterday was a better-than-A+ race day.  The stars were aligned (except the Garmin stars.  Those burned out at mile 9.  And again at mile 17...), the weather was perfect, the course was flat and fast as promised, and friends supporting me were incredible.  As a result, I ran a 9 11 minute PR (my mom had to email me to correct me, because I really am that bad at math), and blew my goal out of the water.  As I said to my friends at the finish, "I'm like a legit fast person now!"

Number of Miles Run Last Week: 43.

Number of Beers Consumed Last Week: 3.  Beer was in the runner recovery area at the finish line yesterday, which is awesome.  You get a beer before you get to find your friends and family.  Medal, Mylar blanket, banana, beer.  Excellent work, race organizers.  Really wonderful stuff.

Types of Beers Consumed Last Week: Goose Island 312 at the finish line, and then 2 pale ales called The Ploy at a pizza-brewery-football joint post-shower.  I ordered a pizza made of mashed potatoes and bacon, and now I have to run another marathon today because of the fatness.  Oh my God, it was so good.

I'll do a full race report this week, but in the interim, I wanted to say one last thing: A lot of people sent well-wishes before and after the race, and I tried my best to acknowledge them, but I just want to be sure to say it again.  Thank you guys so much for giving a shit about a random stranger from the internet.  (Person at mile 7 who said "Will Run For Beer, you're the best!," YOU'RE the best!).  The running community is such an incredibly supportive space, and I feel so lucky to be a part of it. 

Here's to the next great adventure!

9 comments:

  1. Well done! You're a freaking rock star!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish for that pizza. Also, CONGRATS AGAIN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your hard work paid off! Congrats on a big PR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on your race and getting a PR!

    http://runkeeblerrun.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. AMAZING!!! Congratulations on an A++ race! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to read the actual race report. 3:20 is one of my life goals.. And you smashed right through that and you smashed through 3:15 without trying.... Amazing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowzer! Congrats on the huge PR and blazing fast time! It was truly perfect weather in Chicago this weekend.

    ReplyDelete