Friday, October 12, 2012

A Rant: On Music

There's been a lot of talk over the past several weeks about the dangers to runners in Central Park.  The discussion has largely focused on out-of-control cyclists (you know how I feel about them), and, um, rapists (to be clear, I hate rapists even more than cyclists).  But this morning I encountered another threat to my safety while running in Central Park: another runner.

I was running clockwise behind the Met, having just finished a hard workout of hill repeats, and was coasting easily toward home.  A ways in front of me was a gentleman, also running clockwise.  I was a bit faster than him, and soon was just a few steps behind him, with plenty of room on either side of him to make a move to pass.  Before I even had the chance, however, dude doesn't even turn his head to see who might be nearby and steps directly in front of me as he aims for the bridal path, taking us both down, which was not at all embarrassing because it's not as though Central Park is positively teeming with hot, fit dudes at 6:30 in the morning (yes, it most certainly is).  Surprise, surprise, this guy was wearing headphones and had no idea I was behind him.

Look, I don't really get listening to music when you're running outside to begin with.  If you hate running so much that you have to be doing something else simultaneously to distract yourself from it, maybe pick a sport you actually like, you weird compulsive exerciser.  Life is too short to do stuff you don't like (except, unfortunately, when that stuff is Excel, which you have to do despite the frailty of life).  Fine, maybe you're listening to the news or some podcast that's somehow crucial to your day.  Then get on the treadmill and give CNN your undivided attention.  At least in that scenario, you're only a threat to yourself.  Whatever the case may be, your wearing headphones outside with other people puts them in danger.  You certainly can't hear them, and when you close your eyes to headbang, you can't see them either.  It's marathon season, and if I want to get myself injured, I've already proven I can accomplish that on my own; I don't need you and Carly Rae Jepsen to do it for me.  

8 comments:

  1. Thank you! I totally agree! Even worse is when you see cyclists or roller-bladers with headphones, or runners on a very crowded track. If you can't hear me saying "Watch out!" we're both in trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YES! It is so dangerous to wear headphones while running (or walking, cycling, anything really). Take them out and be aware of the world around for for cripe's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Claire, you have now firmly established yourself in my pantheon of certified intelligent people who know what is truly right (but you already knew you were right!). I always thought this was just a feeling shared by old farts like me who started running without benefit of compact electronics. You are a friend to all of us who are runners who care about running and do it because we enjoy it. Run and clear your head. Think about the day behind and the day ahead. Have your own tune in your head, better yet you can only think about the parts that make you run better and repeat on an infinite loop until you think of a new song. Yes, people, listen to what's going on around you or be roadkill. I consider the people with headphones to be anti-social and I refuse to wave to them no matter how cute (usually the headphone chicks don't wave anyway since they are basically anti-social). One more thing, I long ago swore that no one wearing headphones in a race would ever finish in front of me. Essentially, I maintained that successfully for a long time, but one time my determination really pushed me into the top finishers in a small race. It was a night race in the summer and I came up on someone and could see a shadowy bulge on the side of their waist that I took to be a walkman (yes, that long ago). It was the last 1/2 mile or so and I was determined not to let this headphone jock beat me, so I really kicked it in. Turns out I passed the guy and about 5 others to finish third. Then the guy comes over to me at the end and I see it was just his race number folded up small and stuck on the corner of his shorts. Anyway, long story, short being against headphones sometimes has unintended benefits as well.
    Thank you for speaking your mind and what so many others (who also think we know what's right)also think.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sigh. I wear headphones. I know, it's awful. I love listening to music while I run so much! I try to be considerate and definitely lower the volume significantly during races, because I don't want to get into anyone's way and I like socializing with other runners, but I'm definitely guilty as charged.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to wear them when I first started running, but I was really cautious about looking for cars, bikes, other people, etc. when I did. I think the music kept me motivated, and that's why I went with it.

    I've long since ditched them, because I just enjoy running more without them, but I still understand it. I just assume the headphone people are beginners.

    ReplyDelete
  7. it's not possible for me to run without my ipod

    ReplyDelete