Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Once More Unto the Breach, Dear Friends...

...Or close the track up with our Brooklynese dead!

(And here you thought all I ever learned in school related to highly-scientific anatomical studies and the medicinal uses for craft beer. Well, I am something of an expert in anatomical studies, but I digress...)

Tomorrow morning, I'll be confronting my demons once again at the East 6th Street track. Unlike last week, I won't be there for mile repeats, which is a good thing because I'm still highly traumatized (maybe I would have been faster or more consistent if I'd worn shorter shorts...). Instead, tomorrow I'll be tackling Yasso 800s.

I feel a little better about tomorrow's workout for a few reasons, chief among them being that an 800 is a whole 800 meters shorter than a mile (actually, it's 799.8 meters shorter than a mile, if you wanna be a dick about it). But I'm also going into tomorrow's working knowing exactly what split I'm trying to hit for each 800, right from the get-go, which means there's much less risk for the trial-and-(grave, catastrophic) error process I went through for mile repeats last week.

As for reasons I'm still a little nervous? That target split for each 800 is 3:30. Whelp.

Yasso 800s also strike the fear of - well maybe not the fear of God, but like, the fear of the hangover associated with drinking a case of Milwaukee's Best Ice (yes, it's that bad. Both the beer, and the hangover) - in me because they're renowned for being marathon-predictive. If you can run 10x800m in 3:30, for example, odds are good you can run a marathon (that's 1x42,164.8 meters, for those who are so neurotic as to require consistency in units of measure. Or, just, like, Canadians or whoever uses metric.) in 3:30:00. So while I'll do this workout several times between now and October 2nd, I still feel like the pressure is on to get this right.

To combat the stress associated with this workout, I Googled "relaxing video":



Annnnnnd, that just seriously freaked me out. I'll probably be abducted by aliens at the track tomorrow. Awesome...

No comments:

Post a Comment