Given that, I went back and forth this season on what plan to use, consulting a few runners as well as my travel plans to identify whether or not there was another plan that might make me more comfortable. Some people suggested I try two-a-days, instead of six days a week of running, but that struck me as even more difficult to schedule (and the laundry!). Ultimately, I went with the same Training Peaks Break 3:15 plan, less because it seemed like the right fit and more because I didn't find a suitable alternative. For reasons completely unbeknownst to me, however, the plan has been great thus far.
I've just wrapped up two heavy volume weeks, and instead of feeling beat up, worn down, frustrated, and starving, I'm feeling confident, accomplished, and starving. Some things never change, I guess. I don't know that I can point to a specific change - my travel has been consistent, this season to last, and I've kept up a pretty robust social calendar. Also I still have a job, which, you know, occupies a fair amount of my time. But something I've really tried to do is a) make my runs a priority, and then b) not feel bad about it. It's the second part that's the kicker for me. It's hard for me to say "I can't do that with you, because I need to run;" my default instead is "I can do that with you, I'll just run super early/late/on a different day/while carrying Dorito in a backpack," because I don't want to inconvenience other people. But then I'm left feeling pressed for time (something I hate), and the run becomes something to just grit through, as opposed to the focal point it should be, given my race day goals. It's a work in progress, of course, but trying to keep in mind that it's okay to say no to things ahead of time, instead of saying yes and then feeling guilty and anxious trying to manage my time, has done wonders for my ability to maintain my training this season. So far, anyway. To be continued...
Number of Miles Run Last Week: 68. That's a weekly mileage record for me, by plenty. In fact, by Friday of last week, I'd run 77 miles in a 7-day span. Damn. Highlights included 9 miles on trails in the Adirondacks with my friend Jason, a run I wouldn't have done otherwise but am so glad I did, and knocking out my long run on Friday before work, which left the weekend free for this:
Okay, fine, neither of those is me, because I'm too scared to jump. But I spectated. And also did some of this:
Number of Beers Consumed Last Week: 8.
Types of Beers Consumed Last Week: Bell's Oberon, Miller Lite, Labatt Blue Light (I mean...), Saranac IPA, Saranac Pale Ale, Saranac Adirondack Lager, Blue Moon.
I'll face another big mileage week this week, so here's hoping the good vibes continue. Six weeks to go!

Sweet! Getting a shout-out fires me up. Thanks for a great run in the Adirondack woods. Hey we're both going to Boston now, can't wait!
ReplyDelete