Sunday, September 28, 2014

Sunday Wrap Up: Weather Woes

The fall marathon season is tricky: spanning from (roughly) the third week of September to Thanksgiving (California International Marathon in the first week of December is the notable outlier), a fall marathon can offer a 55 degree day and perfect foliage. It can also offer an 85 degree day and unrelenting sun. Or a 30 degree day and icy asphalt at every water station.

The hope, of course, is the first of these scenarios, and I've been fortunate enough to experience conditions like that a couple of times (my first Wineglass, also my first BQ, is a favorite example). My preference among the remaining two scenarios would be a cold day; while my body is much more acclimated to heat than cold right now, coming off the summer, I find it easier (and way less demoralizing) to try to stay warm on the run than stay cool. My second Philadelphia marathon was pretty icy, and it poured chilly rain during the Smuttynose marathon, my PR race, so I speak from some experience here.

But if the weather Gods take it upon themselves to give us a scorcher of a day in Chicago, which they have done there before, at least this past weekend will have prepared me somewhat.




I'm normally a post-run sandwich kind of gal, but this frozen yogurt was among the highlights of my weekend.

After 2 days and 23 miles in 80 degrees, I'm quite ready for Fall and a real, live taper, thank you very much.

Number of Miles Run This Week: 62. Not exactly a traditional first week of taper, but I'm ready to really dial it back now. In fact, I'm coming to you live from the pedicure chair right now, so you know I'm ready to stop wrecking my feet for a few weeks (also ready to not wreck Abbe and Baker's wedding photos with my hooves next weekend.)

Number of Beers Consumed Last Week: 0. I've been dry for a month. I haven't lost any weight, nor slept any better, so this is some BS. To that end, I'll be getting off the wagon next weekend in conjunction with the aforementioned wedding of my nearest and dearest running buddies, because what's a celebration of love between athletes without the alcohol with which athletes are handsomely rewarded after their races? I'll try not to go crazy, because I've already been the bridesmaid who throws up once before (in my defense, Caroline and Chris are still going strong despite, or because of, my dance floor antics), but I expect there is a Fat Tire or two in my future.

Types of Beers Consumed Last Week: n/a. TG asked me to hold his beer during the Norte Dame - Syracuse game last night, and it was like handing me a puppy and asking me not to squeeze it and start talking in a baby voice. That is to say, it was difficult to resist.

2 comments:

  1. Alcohol and running are like peanut butter and chocolate, they just go well together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know why he chose peanut butter and chocolate. Weirdo.

    ReplyDelete