Myself? I actually do like a good race medal for the marathon (keep 'em if I'm running less than that). I put it on immediately after the race, and if I go directly for beers without showering (because who doesn't love going into social situation with a girl who's just sweat and pissed through 26.2 miles and hasn't cleaned up afterward?), I'll leave it on. If I'm lucky, this prompts people to buy me a drink. Or leave an extra bar stool of space between me and them, which isn't a bad outcome.
![]() |
| After the San Fran marathon. I looked pained because that was the race during which I tripped on the Golden Gate Bridge and ate shit, tearing up my arms, legs, and hands. |
![]() |
| This positioning also allows me to slam my head against them every time I sit up to read in bed, which is terrific |
For example, this morning's run was a tough one. I stayed out too late drinking beers and eating frosted animal crackers and gummy worms, and when I cracked open my eyes for the first time at dawn (actually, the first time was at 2:30am, when I thought I might actually die of dehydration), knew I had 6 miles to tackle and plans after work that made snoozing impossible. So I reluctantly got dressed, stepping over animal cracker carcasses and someone else's crumbled bank receipt indicating a balance of $101,607 in his checking account (regrettably we never did track him down last night, for those who followed this quest along via social media), and rummaged for running clothes. I winced as I put sneakers on my chewed up, high-heel wearing feet. I stepped onto the stoop where I had arrived home via yellow chariot just a few short hours beforehand. With the deck stacked against me, I headed to Prospect Park for my 6 mile recovery run.
And I did it.
You want to talk about accomplishment? I ran 6 miles at 6am after spending $60 at a bar that exclusively serves $5 beers last night. If anything deserves a medal, it's that.
So here's my new plan for race medals: I'm going to start wearing them in my bedroom when I succeed at a particularly difficult work out. Of course, I'll also be the one who defines success and difficult in this scenario. But if I get home in the morning after slogging through a particularly strenuous run, or manage to knock out mile repeats after a long day in the office, I'm putting one of those babies on!
(If you're looking for something somewhat more productive than this to do with your race medals, you can donate them to Medals4Mettle, which provides race medals to children and adults battling debilitating illness. I have no affiliation with Medals4Mettle, and have never donated to them. But as you can see from the photo above, I have accumulated more medals than I foresee having success at difficult workouts, so I'll be making a donation myself.)



I really don't know what to think about the medal thing. I'm still in the "unaccomplished douche" territory, since I haven't done the full 26.2 at all. I can still see getting one for the race 10+ miles, but that may change as I go on.
ReplyDeleteI probably wouldn't have made it to 10 if I hadn't seen people giving shiny medals at our Crim race, and now they're giving them out to people running the 5K. I see it many ways, and feel everyone's entitled to their opinion on the medal give-outs.
I'm still hoping Bell's takes me up on my Hopslam Half-Marathon idea. 13 miles, 13 beers of the Hoplslam variety (10% ABV). Only the strong survive.
Good post. Most of my medals are in storage but I do have a couple hanging by my bed. Maybe I'll start wearing them when I do things like: clean out the refrigerator, unclog the shower, or take out the trash. That way, even when I'm doing sh*tty chores, at least I will know I'm a winner.
ReplyDeleteHa! I'm totally wearing mine around the house when I feel accomplished... I've seen people use medals to make windchimes, but they're usually pretty loud and jankety. If you get a really big Christmas tree with sturdy branches you could attach hooks on those babies and hang 'em!
ReplyDelete