One of my fondest marathon training memories is from this year's spring season. Abbe and I ran long on a Saturday morning in March, finished at her apartment, took quick showers, and then headed to a nearby bar with Baker to watch college basketball. That day, I was able to combine nearly everything I love: friends, running, watching sports in bars, alcohol, and food with cheese atop it (I ate chili).
I bring that up because, now that my favorite season (football season) is upon us, I'm having some difficulty giving all of those loves equal attention. Take this past weekend, for example. Saturday morning, Abbe and I ran in Central Park. Friends and running: check. Saturday night, I watched the MSU game in a bar and ate cheese fries with Cate and Steve. Sports, bars, alcohol, and food with cheese atop it: check. But on Sunday, I was in a cheese-and-pitchers-of-Bud-Light induced coma and couldn't muster up a run before the Giants' kick off at 1:00pm, and then spent the afternoon once again drinking beers and eating food with cheese atop it (holy shit, get the beer cheese from Earl's Beer and Cheese. Run, don't walk. Wait a minute... maybe that's the solution to this problem!).
I've spent a bit of time recently talking to Abbe about the importance of setting a routine in making you feel healthy and happy, and maybe I just haven't accomplished that as of yet, since we're only through week 2 of the NFL season. But whatever the case, I can't fully enjoy any of my loves unless I'm giving attention to all of them, and I gotta take care of this, stat. I already have to deal with the threat of concussions taking the fun out of bloodspot. Pretty soon, I'll have nothing left!
Number of Miles Run Last Week: 25. That's 4 short of where I should have been for the week. It's also 19 short of where I was last week. Neither of these things make me feel good.
Number of Beers Consumed Last Week:
There's really not much else to say.
Types of Beers Consumed Last Week: On Tuesday night, I went out to Cookshop with my friend Peter, and we proceeded to drink our way through the entire beer list. Then we went out to Half King for more beers. I don't know what any of them were, since entering my beers on Untappd in the middle of dinner wasn't exactly a priority. I'm fairly certain I had some Stellas on Sunday, as well two Ommegang Scythe and Sickle. And that pitcher of Bud Light, above. I also spent my Thursday evening in The Pony Bar UES. I had one of everything.
Thanks for participating in this little Come to Jesus moment with me. I hope to be back on track in this, week 5 of marathon training.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


Hilarious! Love your blog.
ReplyDeletewww.tiffanyphipps.com
Having a routine definitely helps--especially during marathon training--but some times it's nice to say "Screw it! Let's all have another round."
ReplyDeleteP.S. After reading this yesterday I finally made it to Earl's. Why, oh, why, did I wait so long?!