Thursday, December 15, 2011

Occupy Something


Oh, hey. You probably thought I'd died of a cheese-fry-or-endurance-sport-induced heart attack, or fell victim to the Preppy Killer after a night of pounding beers uptown, or maybe even gave up drinking and blogging and doin' it in favor of dedicating my life to religious studies. If you thought the last one, you must be new here.

Or maybe you thought none of these things, and instead are now thinking, "Girl, we heard from you 4 days ago. That means you're a shitty blogger, but not that you're a born again virgin (I mean, just a regular, always-have-been virgin, Dad...)"

Either way, I feel like I've been out of my running and blogging element this week. As of this fine Thursday morning, I've run precisely once this week, for a whopping total of 6 miles. (Though I am an ultramarathoner). I've spent the rest of the week alternately slaving over grant applications, weeping under my desk, and eating my feelings. Okay, and drinking. Sixpoint Righteous Rye, let's snuggle under the covers together.

Oh, I also spent 85 minutes trapped on a subway under the East River. I tell you that in an effort to garner some sympathy, but really it wasn't that bad. I had a seat and an iPad, so frankly I could have stayed down there all day. But it wasn't necessarily something I'd have chosen to include in my schedule.

Fun and healthy as that all sounds, I'm being to lose it. Not because I'm all, "Girl, I go crazy if I can't be doing my healthy living thing! I need to run and eat produce and breathe non-recycled air." I like all that stuff, sure, but I have a pretty high tolerance for ordering take out at my desk (and my exercise ball chair is collecting dust, so I could use that to pound out a few crunches...). Mostly, I don't like not being in charge of my own schedule and feeling like I don't have time for the things I want to do. To some extend, it comes with the end of year/holiday territory; loose ends at work needs to be tied up, parties need to be attended, obligations need to be fulfilled. And while we all do great things for our company/friends/family/charity, especially as the year comes to a close, we need to be doing great things for ourselves too. Being selfish rules!

So I'm starting a new movement. Occupy Sneakers. I have a feeling this one's going to be huge, and I'll pepper spray any who disagree. I'm going to have to work late tonight, which can't be helped. But after that, I'm making time to drag my (increasingly expanding) ass to the gym, to spend some quality time on the treadmill. Because exercise is good for you, but because my particular passion happens to be running. But doing something you love doesn't have to be fitness-y and shit.  I also love beers, so perhaps after I run, I will Occupy Sixpacks.  Maybe your passion is doing crossword puzzles. Carve yourself out some time in the midst of everything else to do that. Occupy New York Times Arts Section! Or maybe you're into playing flamenco music in your underpants. Good for you! Occupy Latin America and Lingerie! Maybe you have an interest in online pornography. Indulge (provided you and your partner are on the same page about that). Occupy YouPorn! The point is, do something for yourself, that you actually enjoy (don't, for example, schedule a dentist appointment, unless you're all about going to the dentist. Occupy Fluoride doesn't sound as cool. Occupy Advent Calendar does, though, and that'll give you a reason to go to the dentist in January).

What are you Occupying?

4 comments:

  1. ooh, the occupy movement expanding to athletics! I will be occupying my bicycle on the indoor trainer for the foreseeable future. Fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not quite the same as one of your glorious beer runs, but I am going on a Brooklyn bar crawl for a friend's birthday on Saturday afternoon, and was thinking of running there from Manhattan. Any interest in joining for either the run or the pints or both?

    Occupy Pints While in Sneakers?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to Occupy my Vibrams while ALSO occupying the neighborhood Christmas lights. And then I'm going to occupy my bed and all my snuggly blankets. Yay!

    ReplyDelete