Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Wednesday Wrap Up: What's the Best Kind of Workout?

Waking up early is not a problem for me. In part, this is because a certain furry roommate of mine does most of his foot-biting and arm-scratch in the 6 o'clock hour, but also, I'm usually just done sleeping by then. Of course, then I'm tired and have to go to bed by 10pm, which makes it easier to wake up again at 6am. It's a self-fulfilling prophesy. Or something.

Because of the hours I keep, the majority of my workouts are done in the mornings. Sure I've been known to hit the snooze if I've been out late or the morning forecast is abysmal. But mostly, I'm out the door for a run before I've even made purchased coffee from Dunkin Donuts downstairs.

I don't know if it's from years of having this routine, or I established the routine for this very reason (or its just a love of alcohol), but I severely lack motivation to work out in the latter half of the day. Sometimes I can force myself, especially if it's a recovery workout, but otherwise, my enthusiasm for exercise diminishes as the day goes on, and by about 4pm, I'm ready for a drink. Which is a shame during the week, because I don't actually leave work until between 6:30 and 7:00. In any event, P.M. workouts and I don't mix, and I know it.

And yet.

This weekend my schedule was jam packed, so when I was greeted Saturday morning with the possibility of a leisurely breakfast and trip to Home Depot with a handsome man, I jumped at the chance (definitely it was the Home Depot that sold me; nothing to do with the handsome man...). My long run could wait until the afternoon.

Of course, afternoon rolled around and I wanted to take a nap. And clean my apartment. And look at the internet. And just generally not do my long run. Sure enough, I spent enough time procrastinating that my long run didn't happen on Saturday.

Just a gentle reminder, to me as much as anyone, that the best kind of workout is the one you'll actually do. For me, that kind is a morning run.

Number of Miles Run Last Week: 44. I did ultimately get that long run done, because I woke up on Sunday and did it first thing. Which was great, because then I ate a huge brunch and didn't feel bad about having a 30-egg omelette with a side of bacon-stuffed croissants and a glass of champagne.

Number of Beers Consumed Last Week: 10. Ish.

Types of Beers Consumed Last Week Bud Light, Palm, Captain Lawrence Pale Ale, more Bud Light...

In the spirit of learning from my mistakes, I've dragged my keister out of bed even on the coldest of mornings this week to get my runs in. And good thing I'm getting used to the brisk weather, since I'm in Chicago for work through Sunday. Clothes I packed for running this week: all of them.

3 comments:

  1. I just came across your blog... love it as a beer fan and a runner. :) 100% agree with you.... running in the morning is the best. Its so easy to procrastinate it once like 11:00 hits!!

    Sara :)
    http://zerotosixtyjournal.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done!! I've always been exactly the opposite--cannot get out of bed for a run unless it's a race. But, my schedule lately has forced me to suck it up, & little by little, I'm finding I object less & less each day to the early alarm. Apparently you *can* teach an old dog new tricks...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am such a morning runner too..it is so hard for me to get out the door running after work. I can usually convince myself to go to a gym class or do some yoga after work, but I definitely prefer to get my running done in the morning.

    ReplyDelete